Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Citra Hop Experiment

Well, it's been a while since I've documented any of my brew days. This one is from the AHA National "Teach your friend to brew day" on November 7th, 2009. I have read about Citra hops and from everything I read, I figured I now need to use them and enjoy some of their fruit punch-iness! Wonderful aromas of pineapple, mango, and citrus are prominent with this hop. Simply amazing! The batch I brewed was a simple grain bill to showcase the awesomeness of this hop. Here's the recipe for the IPA:


12 lbs. American 2 Row
2 lbs. Munich
.5 lbs. Carapils Dextrine Malt
.5 lbs. Crystal 40L

1 oz Sorachi Ace Pellets @ 60 (13.1% AA)
1 oz Citra Whole Hops @ 20 (11% AA)
1 oz Citra Whole Hops @ 10 (11% AA)
1 oz Citra Whole Hops @ 5 (11% AA)
1 oz Citra Whole Hops @ 0 (11% AA)
2 oz Citra Added to Primary (14 days)
1 oz Citra cones added to Secondary (7 days)

Whirlfloc @ 15

Here's some pictures of the dry hopping stage:










After carbonation, this beer will be full of fruity goodness! Hopefully, this will be so good, it becomes my signature beer!

1 comment: